Saturday, October 30, 2010

    Every week after doing the other readings for this class I try to do the reading from the B.O.S. book and end up getting completely lost and board not even half way through the reading. I have not been able to finish one reading from this book so far.
    I thought that maybe the reading for this week "Jewish Memoir Goes Pow! Zap! Oy!" would be different because it's by the same author as Jobnik which we have read so maybe it would be easier to understand what she's writing about. I was very disappointed. Not only did I not understand what gonzo comics were until class but I haven't read "Portnoy's Complaint" which she talks about a lot or "Binky Brown" so I found it hard to follow along with her thoughts on these comic books. However, I did enjoy the part of the reading where she talks about her childhood and how she was first inspired by comic books. I just wish the rest of the book was more like this instead of people talking about other author's comics and how they feel about them with the majority of these comics being ones we haven't read in class.
    The B.O.S. book seems to be aimed more at individuals who have read and know about many different comics. Until I took this class I had not read a single comic book and knew nothing about them. If I did have more of a general understanding of these authors and the different comics mentioned I think this book would be a lot more helpful and a lot easier to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment