Saturday, November 6, 2010

waltz with bashir

I enjoyed the movie "Waltz with Bashir although it was pretty depressing.  I liked the fact that if was animated because there was a lot of violence whereas if the people had been actual actors I don't think I would have liked it as much.  The violence along with everything that happened in the movie would have been too much.  Another thing I enjoyed was the style of the animation.  Recently I've been watching a lot of movies by Hayao Miyazaki, a Japanese animator.  The animation style in "Waltz with Bashir" is a bit different.  It's a lot darker and less colorful, not to mention the way the artists draw the figure is completely different.  Something I found similar is how realistically the background is drawn.  The water and buildings all look so real that at times it's hard to tell it had been drawn but yet the people are all being animated looking.  I enjoy this contrast between the background and figures because it makes the characters stand out so much.  One of the most disturbing parts in the movie for me was the scene with all the horses dieing.  The looked like they were in so much pain and it made me feel terrible.  The couldn't even walk anymore and how they were just falling over was really horrible. I don't remember if it was actually said what had happened to them.  The other scene scene I found disturbing was at the end of the movie where they switch from animation to recordings of actual people.  It reminds you that the massacre actually happened, rather than just being a story portrayed through a cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment