Saturday, November 6, 2010

I found the reading Ben Gurion's Golem and Jewish Lesbians in the Jewish Graphic Novel book very interesting especially since I'm planning on writing my research paper on golems. I enjoy that they talk about the history of the golem and that humans and golems were commonly compared in different religious texts. They give the example that wise people don't interrupt, they think about things before saying them, and they give accurate answers among other things. The golem is then viewed as the opposite of this. The author then goes on to discuss that the golem has inspired films, art, and even music. I think I will look into some of these things when I do more research for my paper because I would like to talk about how golems have influenced pop culture. I never thought about looking for music or plays that have been inspired by them. The only movie I have found so far that had a golem is the movie Castle in the Sky. In this story the golem had been created the floating island called Laputa. I am vary interested in seeing if I can find any information on the artist Ido Shemi who according to the reading had an art exhibition that was inspired by golems.

No comments:

Post a Comment