Friday, November 19, 2010

    I found the second part of Megillat Esther very interesting. The story seemed to get a lot more crazy and confusing once you flip the book upside down. There are so many different stories that start getting intertwined. First there is the story of Esther than he brings in the fight between Rachel and Leah. Waldman also tells a kind of story with the descendants of Esau. Then there is the story that's going on while the story of Esther is being told.
    I'm really glad we discussed in class what was going on with Rachel and Leah and also with Esau's family because I didn't know any of these stories so while I was reading I didn't know what was going on with them. I enjoy how the art style changes along with all these different stories. There are the pen and ink drawings that are used for Esau's descendants and the kind of pointillism that is used for the events that are taking place as the story is being read, and also the main very detailed art style that is use through out the book. The different art styles really help to show that these things  taking place at different times.
    One thing that really interests me is that he shows the pointer that is used to read the book of Esther. It's interesting because he uses the photo realism and it isn't used anywhere else in the book which makes me think that the pointer is somehow really important. Maybe it's supposed to show that something else is happening outside the story and to foreshadow the part where the story is actually being read to a group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment