Friday, November 12, 2010

Megillat Esther

    Overall I enjoyed the first half of Megillat Esther. It was a little hard to get into at first because I didn't quite know what was going on but after awhile I started to get into it and found it hard to stop reading. One thing I enjoyed was the art style. My favorite art work from the graphic novels that we've read this semester is the art work from the Rabbi's Cat however the style in Megillat Esther is also very good. I really enjoy Waldman's use of pattern and how he uses the Hebrew words and sometimes the English so that it becomes part of the drawings. His use of so many different patterns, textures, and also the flatness of so many of the drawings reminds me a lot of the art nouveau artist named Gustav Klimt. He did many paintings of different women and they are all very flat and illustrative looking. His work titled Adele Bloch-Bauer is probably the most similar to Waldman's art work. So if anyone really enjoys the art style in Megillat Esther you should check out this artist.
    I didn't enjoy the intermissions very much. The first one threw me off because I didn't see that it said intermission on the side of the page so I thought it was still a part of the story. I was really confused for a while. I only read half of the second intermission because I didn't really know what was going on and it didn't have anything to do with the rest of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment